Sunday, December 2, 2018

Hope, Pindale, Bradwell, Shatton, Offerton, and Hathersage Booths

I caught the first available bus going from Sheffield into the Peak District this morning and arrived at Hope at about 09:50. I took a few photographs before I left the village and headed south going up the road to Pindale, and then walked along the footpath which goes through the cement works down to Bradwell.































There were excellent views featuring the cement works over to my left as I then took a footpath heading northeast.




When I reached Townfield Lane, a wide track, I was heading due east towards Shatton, and then southeast to Offerton.



Just before arriving at the hamlet of Offerton I held a gate open for a group of two dozen women and girls on horseback - it was safer than proceeding down the narrow restricted bridleway they were using: I did receive a smile and a 'Thank You' from most of the riders.

A bit further along, by now I was walking on a metalled road, I noticed a flattened badger at the side of the road - they really are quite large.

I took the path that leads down to Leadmill Bridge and then climbed up the hill to Hathersage Booths and [eventually] caught the bus back to Sheffield outside The Millstone pub. The bus didn't show up and the next one was over half an hour late. Fortunately a group of about eight members of a walking club were also waiting for the same bus and someone was able to phone up and find out what was happening - a broken down bus and a diversion in Sheffield. So, even after waiting for over thirty minutes we still had time to go for a warm in the pub; I bought a pot of tea. When a bus did eventually arrive it was still twenty minutes later than the time we had been told.

When something like this happens it always spoils my day...a bus over ninety minutes late really ruins a good day's walking, and today's experience has been my worst experience on public transport in the Peak District ever...the bus services are quite frequent and usually very very reliable.




1 comment:

  1. Amazing photos, really enjoyed the commentary as always. As for buses sorry to hear that. Don't let it put you off. Your blogs are very enjoyable

    ReplyDelete