Friday, December 28, 2018

Bakewell, Great Longstone, Little Longstone, Monsal Head, Sheldon, Magpie Mine, and Over Haddon

I didn't wake up until 7:15 this morning but still managed to reach Bakewell within two hours. I cut through Bath Gardens in the town and headed north to Great Longstone.























It then didn't take me long to walk to Little Longstone; despite the sign, the small chapel there was closed.







I continued up the road to Monsal Head and then along the footpath which goes gently down through the woods to Monsal Dale. I followed the river downstream at the bottom of the valley until I reached Lees Bottom and then climbed up to Sheldon and the ruins of Magpie Mine. It was a steep and quite difficult ascent on the wet limestone.

The church at Sheldon is one of my favourites.







Magpie Mine was looking as stark, bleak, threatening, and mysterious as it ever does in poor weather conditions...although the effect was somewhat tempered by the presence of two hiking groups which had stopped to eat their sandwiches there.











Finally I made a good pace across the fields to Over Haddon and then down to Bakewell.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment