Monday, December 31, 2018

Darfield, Little Houghton, Great Houghton, Clayton and Frickley, Moorhouse, Hampole, and Skellow

I wasn't sure about the frequency of bus services in the Peak District today and so I stuck to my local area again. I caught the Barnsley bus and travelled to Darfield; I got off and headed northwards along the bank of the River Dearne, soon crossing over the weir...which is about twelve foot high and quite impressive.


I continued along a pleasant well-surfaced track for the short distance to Little Houghton.







I only briefly visited Little Houghton before walking down the old pit lane to Great Houghton.





It was a steady climb over the fields to Clayton and then it levelled out as I walked through Frickley Park. I stayed out of an argument outside the village shop in Clayton between a local woman and a farm worker about the large amount of mud on the road.













The stretch from Frickley Park to the old station house at Moorhouse was new to me, and was a lovely walk across farmland and through pastures and also passing through Hooton Pagnell Wood as well. 

Unfortunately the final three miles were entirely on tarmac - that's just how it is sometimes; I couldn't find a more interesting route. The countryside was decent though.




No comments:

Post a Comment