Saturday, December 22, 2018

Stoney Middleton, Eyam, Highcliffe, Abney, and Brough

I travelled to Stoney Middleton today and started the walk by taking a few photographs of the rather unusual church there; it's the first time I've been inside. 













I then took the footpath up the grassy hill to Eyam; there are always plenty of opportunities to take photos there.











The church at Eyam is always open, there's a small museum inside.















I climbed up through the woods to Highcliffe, then turned left and walked along the road for half a mile until I reached a bridleway heading towards Bretton Clough. I went down into the clough and then climbed up the other side to Abney.



I stopped and let a large group of women and girls on horseback pass me at Abney; they looked like the same people who I encountered a couple of weeks ago at Shatton. Today though, both horses and  riders were all trimmed up for Christmas, decorated with tinsel, ribbon, and flashing fairy lights...and wearing garish seasonal jumpers and Santa hats.

Finally I walked across the moors and then joined Brough Lane, a wide track which took me all the way down to the road. I caught the bus outside The Traveller's Rest pub. 









I was a bit disappointed with the weather today - it drizzled most of the time and the forecast sunny intervals were very brief.


No comments:

Post a Comment