Monday, December 17, 2018

Woodlands, Pickburn, Hooton Pagnell, Stotfold, Phoenix Park, Goldthorpe, Barnburgh, and Conisbrough

It was just a short ride on the bus today to Woodlands. I got something to eat later from one of the shops and then walked up through the housing estate to the entrance to Brodsworth Community Woodland. It was still dark when I got off the bus, but dawn was breaking just about now.

I only spent a few minutes in the country park, heading out towards Pickburn as fast as I could; I nearly slipped on some black ice as I was walking down the road approaching the village. I was glad to get on the footpath and continue heading westwards across the fields to Hooton Pagnell.


Although it was sunny, most of the village was in the shade and so I didn't take that many photographs of this beautiful photogenic hilltop village...although I was happy with most of them and so have included them.






























I sat in the churchyard to eat my sandwiches - the ringing of the chimes here is quicker than anywhere else I know.

I left Hooton Pagnell walking to the south and passed through Watchley Crags until I reached Stotfold; just a farm complex really, and then climbed up the fairly steep hill to the top of Phoenix Park.













The parish church at Goldthorpe has an unusual Italianate design.







I got down onto the old railway cutting that goes to Barnburgh and got there a few minutes later. Barnburgh Church is associated with the Cat and Man Legend.






I walked down the hill to the Crown Inn, turned right and then took a footpath leading to the road which goes further down the hill to Denaby Ings. I didn't enter the nature reserve but continued over the bridge and along the bank of the River Dearne and then the course of the old railway line to Conisbrough.

The current Doncaster to Sheffield line still serves Conisbrough: there are no photographs of the church or castle at Conisbrough because as I passed by the station a train was due and so I caught it...and so didn't climb up the hill to the town centre.



No comments:

Post a Comment