Saturday, April 30, 2022

Monsal Head, Litton Mill, and Blackwell

I caught the local bus from Bakewell to Monsal Head and took the footpath going down to the Monsal Trail.


















For a change I took the footpath that bypasses the two tunnels, it's the one we had to use before they were open.



















This path comes down in Litton Mill; I then continued on to Tideswell Dale, going up the 120 steps to reach the old quarry...which is very well landscaped. I hoped to see some early purple orchids but there were sheep grazing, however I did spot this rather lovely specimen hiding away in an obscure corner.







At the end of the dale there's the car parking area and public toilets. I then headed west across some fields until I reached the Limestone Way. I walked along the road which goes to Hargatewall but then climbed up to Wormhill...I only visited the area of the village where the church is though.











The path that goes down to Chee Dale is quite steep, although I naturally thought the one going up the other side was much steeper. At the bottom there's a lovely spot where there's a footbridge over the river; families were having picnics on the grassy riverbank and some children were paddling in the water. 

At a farm on the approach to Blackwell there's a pathside refreshment stall selling cakes. I didn't want to purchase anything but I couldn't work out how the honesty box works...maybe payment is done online. I don't know.







I finished the day by walking along the road to the bus stop at Blackwell Turn and caught the bus going back to Bakewell.


No comments:

Post a Comment