Friday, April 1, 2022

Rivelin to Hathersage

I got off the bus at the stop most convenient for walking across the top of the dam wall at the lowest of the Rivelin Reservoirs. I had to walk back in an easterly direction towards Sheffield City Centre for a few minutes, but there was a pavement for the entire length.



It's a wide gravel track that goes alongside the reservoirs and then climbs up onto the moors. After walking across the moors on quite narrow footpaths there's a another wide, well-maintained track that heads westwards to Oaking Clough Reservoir, which is much smaller than the Rivelin Reservoirs...but it's much more interesting.














A few minutes later I noticed three of these flat, round stones at the side of the path. I've not been in this area before and haven't seen anything like them before - I thought they might have been hardened cowpats, but I checked and they were definitely worked stones, about a foot in diameter.





I could soon see my next group of reservoirs, Redmires Reservoirs. There's a road that goes alongside them and then a rocky path up to Stanedge Pole.




I made my way over to Stanage Edge and then descended to Hathersage and caught the bus back to Sheffield.




















No comments:

Post a Comment