Friday, May 6, 2022

Baslow and the 'Burning Man' Sculptures at Chatsworth House

I travelled on the bus to Baslow Nether End and walked back along the road to the roundabout at the Golden Gates entrance to Chatsworth Park and took a path at the other side of the road that goes up the hillside through the woods.




 












I didn't go up onto the moors, instead I took a path going at the back of the Wellington Monument and then descending through a different wood down to the Sheffield road.





I then climbed up through woodland again followed by a much gentler way down to the Chesterfield road near Robin Hood. When I reached the road I went the wrong way though; I turned right instead of left and ended up back at Baslow Nether End after having to walk along the road for about a mile - fortunately there's a pavement all of the way. I should have gone the other way to get to the footpath I wanted. It's not marked on the map and I couldn't see the fingerpost sign.

So, from Nether End I walked to Chatsworth House to photograph the 'Burning Man' sculptures installed in publicly accessible areas of the parkland. The footpath going through Chatsworth Park was closed because of the horse trials but there was a well signposted  diversion, which made a pleasant change - I was able to take pictures of different views.













This temporary pontoon bridge was a bit bouncy.




I was now at the other side of the river to where the path usually goes and really enjoyed seeing these different views.














I photographed the three sculptures nearest to the House; there are two more along the route of the original path that are still accessible, but were surrounded by service vehicles, temporary barriers and marquees and so I didn't go over to them. 

























The flying horse sculpture featured in the two final photographs actually moves, but the mechanism wasn't working today; I did see it in operation last week though when I was on the bus going to Bakewell.

There's an information marquee erected right next to the bus stop and since I had ten minutes to wait for the bus I decided to go inside and got talking to one of the exhibition's curators and he told me that they are waiting for several more sculptures to be delivered and installed later in the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment