Friday, August 13, 2021

Surprise View, Hathersage, Bamford, Thornhill, and Brough

I should have been travelling on the X57 bus to the summit of the Snake Pass this morning but the bus didn't show up. Whilst I was waiting at the bus station two other buses departed for the Peak District, the 218 going to Bakewell and the 65 going to Buxton. When the Castleton bus started boarding I moved over and joined that queue; I'd given the X57 twenty minutes and I wasn't giving it any longer...a few other people made the same decision as well.

I wanted to get off the bus and start walking as soon as possible and so only travelled as far as Surprise View, the first stop in Derbyshire. I climbed up on to Millstone Edge and enjoyed some classic views looking up the Hope Valley, and then made my way down to Hathersage.


























I didn't enter the centre of Hathersage. The footpath came out near to the church and then I found another one which continued across a field, through the allotments and then through open countryside to Bamford.






I popped in to The Angler's Rest Tearooms at Bamford for tea and cake and then walked down the lane that leads to Bamford Mill where I used the walkway and stepping stones to cross the River Derwent.






It was only a short walk over to Thornhill and then as I was heading for Hope I had to make another decision. The timing for catching a bus back to Sheffield was going to be very convenient at Brough and so I ended the walk there.






No comments:

Post a Comment