Wednesday, August 18, 2021

Castleton, Bradwell, and Hope

A walk from Castleton to Eldon Hill today, the highest point in the White Peak area of the Peak District. When I reached Sheffield I walked up the hill and caught the bus at the Howard Street stop; nearby there's a brightly coloured fibreglass bear. These bears are placed all over the city, just like similar elephants were a few years ago.




I arrived at Castleton at nine o'clock; I wasn't the only hiker on the bus at that time.










I walked up Cave Dale and then took a path heading to the west towards Eldon Hill Quarry and another path which goes alongside the edge of the quarry. Just to the right of the path it's Access Land and so I was able to walk across the grassy scrubland to the summit of the hill, overlooking the now disused quarry. There's nothing to see at the summit, not even a trig point and because it was misty I couldn't even walk over to maybe get some good shots of the quarry.








I did manage to take a photograph of Eldon Hole though, I thought it looked quite haunting, although that doesn't come over very well.




I then returned to the path a few hundred yards further along and continued to just to the north of Old Dam and then took a series of footpaths and a long stretch of road heading east towards Bradwell. 











I entered the Smalldale area, on the northern edge of Bradwell and finished  by walking along the road to Hope to catch the bus; I didn't have long to wait.

The final photograph features the Hope Cement Works which I always think looks like a fairytale castle when looked at from certain angles.




I'm sorry there aren't many photographs today, and those I've included aren't really that good. it seems that my eyes are better in poor visibility than my camera's lens is, the camera's not a cheap one either, it's a Kodak. I only paid £10 for it though from the secondhand shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment