Friday, January 28, 2022

Climbing Mam Tor

I managed to do my planned walk today from Bamford even though my expected bus didn't show up. I had to catch the 257 ten minutes later; it goes by a different route. I got off near to the church and then walked down to the mill.




I used the stepping stones and the walkway to cross over the River Derwent and then continued across the fields to Hope. En route I passed by a sheep in a field all on its own, just standing there without moving at all. I've not seen that behaviour before.

So many times I see an odd glove left on a gatepost when someone will have removed it to open the latch and have then dropped it. The next person to come along must pick it up and place it on the top of the gatepost - it must be basic walking etiquette.





I kept to the north of Hope, missing out most of the village.















 

From Hope I looped my way over to Castleton, climbing part of the way up the southern flank of Lose Hill to Losehill Hall Farm and then taking a lower level path heading towards, Hollins Cross, the lowest point on the Great Ridge. 












I continued along the ridge until I reached Mam Tor, the highest point. It was very windy up there, the windiest I've ever experienced it in the Peak District.




Part of my route to Castleton took me down the abandoned road.



At the Odin Mine Crushing Circle I found another item of abandoned clothing...these boots.




Something else abandoned a bit further on.



On the approach to Castleton I spotted this weathered carving of a hand holding a hammer.



I should have had only twenty minutes to wait for the bus...but it was ten minutes late.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for your photos and descriptions of your walks. I used to live in the Peak District and walked very many miles there. Pam

    ReplyDelete