Friday, February 15, 2019

Lodge Moor, Rails, Stopes, Storrs, Stacey Bank, Holdworth, Foldrings, Brightholmlee, and Wharncliffe Side

Today's walk started at the bus terminus at Lodge Moor. There's a very decent view just a few steps after getting off the bus.



I walked down into Fox Hagg Nature Reserve and then crossed over the dam wall at the bottom of the valley.



I climbed up the other side of the valley passing through woodland; for this short section of the walk I was actually within the boundary of the Peak District National Park. The path veered to the east before reaching the tiny community of Rails. From this point I just used the map to plot a route sticking as near as possible to due north and would see where it intersected with the main Manchester road in the upper Don Valley - so, the walk finished at Wharncliffe Side.

There wasn't a cloud in the sky today, probably not the best conditions for landscape photography, but certainly ideal conditions for regularly stopping and admiring the views.



















As is quite often the case I got very muddy today and so when I got home the first I did was to strip off and get out of my dirty clothes. When I caught a glimpse of my legs I was terrified though; I thought I'd get some sort of sepsis in my varicose veins. Fortunately I soon noticed that my hands had the same black stain - it was the dye from my trousers which must not be holding fast...it obviously can't cope with my sweat.

Sorry that the photo isn't very good...I'm much better at landscapes.









No comments:

Post a Comment