Monday, February 25, 2019

Ardsley, Worsbrough, Birdwell, Tankersley, Harley, Wentworth, and Greasbrough

Another journey on the bus to Ardsley to start a walk, beginning by walking across the fields to the TransPennine Trail. There would have been some decent views to look at but it was very foggy and didn't clear up until I reached Worsbrough. One thing I was able to notice though was that in one of the fields that the path crossed four different crops had been sowed, all jumbled up together.

After reaching the trail I continued for about a quarter of a mile and then took another old abandoned railway line, actually another branch of the Transpennine Trail. About a mile beyond the railway viaduct I took a path which leads through pleasant countryside to the road, which I followed for a few minutes until I arrived at the old part of the village of Worsbrough, the area where the church is.







I didn't want to go to Birdwell but the path that I wanted wasn't there, there were some new houses being built where it should have been...so I had to walk through this rather unattractive village.

The church at Tankersley is situated about half a mile from the main part of the village in a lovely secluded spot...it's a nice church as well. Unfortunately, as was the case with Worsbrough church, the door was locked.









There are two churches at Wentworth, an old one and a new one, and I was able to go inside both of them. There are also plenty of other beautiful buildings in the village to take pictures of...two of my favourites had scaffolding put up though, and there were roadworks on the High Street ruining several good views.













[The inscription on the gravestone reads 'For goodnes sake fix this Stone up agane.']















I left Wentworth by walking through the gun park, passing both the large ornate stables block and the main hall, the largest private residence in the country. Both buildings were also covered in scaffolding and hoardings. It was a steady downhill stroll to Greasbrough, also passing next to one of the angling lakes.





I caught one of he frequent buses into Rotherham; the journey took much longer than scheduled though because of an accident near to the town centre.


Today's route:






No comments:

Post a Comment