Sunday, March 3, 2019

Great Yarmouth and Lowestoft

My brother and father had booked a short break to Great Yarmouth for the weekend; unfortunately  dad wasn't feeling very well and so I went in his place.

DAY ONE: FRIDAY

We arrived at 3:00 pm and used the couple of hours of remaining daylight to briefly explore the town centre and the nearby part of the seafront. We were both impressed with the minster and the South East Tower of the mediaeval city walls.







On its official website it's claimed that the minster is the largest parish church in England.



























DAY TWO: SATURDAY

My brother went to Norwich and I travelled to Lowestoft, both of us using local public transport. On arrival I walked to the seafront area to the south of the town.








I then walked back through the town centre and to the north to locate Ness Point, the furthest east location on the island of Great Britain.









Ness Point was a bit of a disappointment; it's right next to an industrial area and there's no prominent landmark to stand next to for photographs. There's a large circular 'Euroscope' on the ground though which I was able to walk round. It depicts the bearings and distances of various European capital cities, the furthest points north, south, and west on the island of Great Britain and some other interesting geographical facts.





I arrived back at Great Yarmouth at 1:30 and headed to the South Quay area to photograph the ships.





I then looked round the shops and finished by walking on the beach and then returned to the hotel along the promenade.













DAY THREE: SUNDAY

After breakfast we set off on the journey home, en route we stopped at Springfields Outlet Shopping and Festival Gardens. I noticed the large impressive Victorian church just a couple of hundred yards away and so walked over to take some photographs.







No comments:

Post a Comment