Sunday, March 24, 2019

Brough, Bradwell, Little Hucklow, Tideswell Lane Head, Litton, Wardlow Mires, Foolow, Eyam, Grindleford, and Fox House

At Sheffield this morning I caught the first bus going out to the Peak District and got off at Brough in the Hope Valley. I walked along the footpath to Bradwell and then continued heading south to Little Hucklow, partially along the road. I found an unmarked path climbing up through the woods past some overgrown quarry workings; although it was steep and quite dense vegetation in places it was still probably safer than walking along the road which is dark, narrow, twisty, and confined...and without any grass verges for long sections.












When I got there I took a path which goes at the back of the houses at Little Hucklow.



There was then quite a long stretch of roadwalking to Tideswell Lane Head, but I'd not been this way before and so didn't mind...I also decided to do a bit of gentle jogging; it helps to keep my diabetes at bay. I chose to continue using the road to reach Litton so that I'd go past the small Victorian church there.

Everything at the Red Lion pub at Litton is real apart from the lion. I went inside for a pot of tea and can vouch for the authenticity of the low wooden roof timbers. The family sitting opposite me chose the carrot and orange option from the menu; when their food arrived I saw that it was soup...my guesses were cake or some sort of juice drink.





It was a mile to Wardlow Mires, one of the ugliest places in the Peak District, and then another mile and a half to Foolow, one of the prettiest villages in the national park. I didn't take any pictures though because of parked cars in the way.

I continued going eastwards until I reached Eyam; there is always plenty to photograph there.









I made my way to Grindleford; there's no direct footpath and so I used the blocked off road that was closed a few years ago because of a landslip. It's quite high up there and there are some lovely views of Froggatt Edge and the Derwent Valley...as far as Chatsworth House.







The final section of the walk was uphill through Padley Gorge to Fox House.


Today's route - 13 miles:





No comments:

Post a Comment