Friday, March 15, 2019

Bakewell, Ashford in the Water, Little Longstone, Bubnell, and Baslow

I caught the first bus from Sheffield to Bakewell and got there before nine o'clock. I didn't spend long in the town, I just headed up the hill for the footpath that's hidden away at the back of the church.









I was travelling westwards, walking across grassy fields, followed by a minor road and then using the causeway that goes alongside the eastbound side of the A6 road until I reached Ashford in the Water.





















I now turned to the north and made my way to Little Longstone and then up onto Longstone Moor. For about an hour, between ten o'clock and eleven o'clock I was harassed to the point of almost getting angry - my mobile phone rang four times, two of my friends called [which is okay I suppose] but having to arrange a time and date for the property management company to come and assess my house [yet again] and then to receive another related call wanting details about my financial circumstances is a bit too much. I don't have a smartphone and so I can't store and access my personal information and so everything I agreed to had to be provisional...and then there was the wind, noisily buffeting me about even when I found a bit of shelter, still making it difficult for me to make myself understood or to hear what the other person was saying. 





I gave a bit of thought as to where I wanted to finish the walk; Baslow, or  Hathersage. Since choosing the latter would entail crossing quite a bit of high moorland I opted for Baslow over to the east. 

I set off along the old quarry road and soon noticed that on top of many of the fenceposts there was at least one flat bottomed stone balanced on top. I've seen this before, but never so many along one route previously; I wonder why someone did this? I've always assumed it must be a bored child - it will take a lot of time though...and a lot of unnecessary bending down as well.









I'm so pleased that the photos have turned out as well as they have today because at times I was struggling to stand upright and stay still when holding the camera.

Today's route:




2 comments: