Monday, March 11, 2019

Bentley Bridge, Lumsdale, Matlock Green, Old Matlock, Starkholmes, and Cromford

I started my walk today from Bentley Bridge, two miles north of Matlock. I walked straight down the lane to Lumsdale Falls and took plenty of photographs of the waterfalls and the ruins. There was a lot of water and so the falls were spectacular...and very noisy.















At the bottom of the valley I walked along the main road heading towards Matlock and then climbed up the hill to the parish church.













I continued up the hill until I reached a footpath going up to High Tor; I had a bit of fun going down into the deep crevice near the summit. I didn't go right down into the narrow, deep, dark and inaccessible  parts though.







I took the first path going down to Starkholmes and walked through the village, heading south, until I reached the path that would take me to High Peak Junction.









I walked along the canal towpath, heading back northwards to Cromford Wharf where I had a cream tea in the cafe - my choice of scone was cherry and walnut.







It was then a short walk into Cromford followed b two bus rides and a journey on the train to get me home to Doncaster.



I really enjoyed today, perfect weather for walking and for taking photographs...and everything went according to plan on public transport. Actually that final statement isn't true - one of the buses was late...but it worked to my advantage.

The 218 bus coming back from Bakewell now goes a different route as it approaches Sheffield City Centre - it's slightly longer but probably a good few minutes quicker since it doesn't have to keep stopping to pick up local passengers.


Today's route:



  





No comments:

Post a Comment