Sunday, February 3, 2019

Ardsley, Broomhill, Bolton-upon-Dearne, and Conisbrough

I caught the Barnsley bus and travelled to Ardsley, three miles short of the town centre. I took the footpath just before the crematorium, going along a track and then across the fields to a minor road, which I crossed over before continuing on a metalled surface to reach the TransPennine Trail near Wombwell.

There were some nice views just after I'd left Ardsley.





I got lost a couple of times but there were probably even better views from the places I ended up. These are three of the photographs I took.







I'd only been walking on the TransPennine Trail for a few minutes when I heard the noise of engines revving, I suspected it might be off-road motorcycles approaching...but I was wrong, it was coming from a nearby radio-controlled model car racing event at a specially constructed circuit.




I left the TreansPennine Trail at Old Moor for a couple of miles, walking through Broomhill; it's not an attractive village but there's a decent view from the bridge that crosses over the River Dearne.



I continued walking along the riverbank, this is the location where the next two photos were taken, looking back towards Darfield Church.






The path then went along an old railway embankment for a while before taking me back to the river. I briefly entered Bolton-upon-Dearne before catching up with the TransPennine Trail again at the railway arches on the Mexborough road. I then stayed with the trail all the way back to Conisbrough.











  

No comments:

Post a Comment