Monday, September 6, 2021

Windmill, Tideswell, Litton, Wardlow Mires, Cavendish Mill, Bubnell, and Baslow

I travelled to the hamlet of Windmill today and headed west along High Rake and Tideslow Rake before turning to the south and walking along the road to Tideswell.








This sign near to Tideswell refers to sheep.





I explored Tideswell for forty minutes, it's a large village.




















I walked along the road to Litton and stopped for a cold drink and a slice of tiffin from the village shop. I continued heading east to Wardlow Mires, a particularly unattractive village by Peak District standards. However, the next place gets my top billing as a blot on the landscape, Cavendish Mills...

There's still some nice countryside in the area though.













The tracks at Cavendish Mill are very dry and dusty at the moment and I got enveloped in a thick cloud of dust and debris when a lorry went past me; the driver could have had the courtesy to stop and let me get past first. This was the worst experience I've ever had in the Peak District - I was coughing, wheezing, spluttering, and cursing for several minutes afterwards.








I went down into the upper reaches of Coombs Dale and then climbed out up the other side using a couple of paths I'd not used before and then continued on the old quarry road, passing my second location of the day known as High Rake.'




I finished the walk by going down the road that leads to Bubnell, and then Baslow, where I caught the bus back to Sheffield. The engine really struggled getting up the hill out of Baslow.


No comments:

Post a Comment