Friday, September 24, 2021

Baslow, Hassop, Rowland, Great Longstone, Little Longstone, Monsal Head, and Ashford in the Water

I got off the bus at Baslow and headed for the footpath that goes over to the west across the fields. I let the couple walking in front of me deal with the cows which were congregating near the gates I had to pass through.










I soon reached the road that goes down to Hassop.



 


There's a lovely Palladian style Catholic church at Hassop, but I always find it difficult to photograph because of the tight angles and so it doesn't feature today.








After walking along a dangerous stretch of road for a few minutes I reached the path that goes across to Rowland.








My route to Great Longstone was flat and easygoing.








I took a bit of a diversion to use footpaths to reach Little Longstone, rather than using the road. The small church there is lovely, there are even teamaking facilities inside.














I continued for the short distance along the road to Monsal Head. I was glad to discover that the public toilets have re-opened. It was quite misty and so I didn't even attempt to photograph the classic view looking down at the viaduct.








It was gentle walk over to Ashford in the Water; I stayed in the village for fifteen minutes and when I passed the bus stop I noticed that a bus going to Bakewell was due in five minutes and so I decided to end the walk here.




















I spent twenty minutes looking round the shops in Bakewell and treated myself to some diced mixed game from one of the farm shops.

No comments:

Post a Comment