Tuesday, November 3, 2020

Mount Pleasant Hotel, Rossington Hall, Rossington, and iPort Lakes

If I don't go walking tomorrow today will probably have been the last time I'll be travelling on a bus until the second lockdown ends...however that might be. I travelled to Mount Pleasant Hotel on the Great North Road, just south of the turn-off to Rossington. I took the more northern of the two footpaths, going past the two lodges, the first one, the older of the two, is well worth photographing.





The photographs were taken from the road; the footpath goes behind the buildings and there was nothing worth photographing close up from that angle.


I then made my way over to the west, passing through some quite nice and varied countryside.






I headed south to Rossington Hall, home to the National Horseracing college. Much of the signage is out of date, still displaying its previous name, the Northern Racing College.








I re-traced my steps for about a hundred yards and then took a path heading westwards towards Rossington.






I got a good view of these two deer, roe deer I think, much smaller than the red deer that roam in Chatsworth Park and on the nearby moors in the Peak District.






I crossed over the railway and a bit later passed by the location of the abandoned Cold War underground nuclear shelter...there's nothing to see apart from a small fenced off area with a slightly raised hatch.



I then had to walk through the housing estates at Rossington until I reached Grange Road which is a track that leads to Wadworth, going up and over the former colliery spoilheap.





I didn't go to Wadworth though I turned right just after the railway bridge and walked up the track leading to the iPort Lakes. 







I returned home via Doncaster Lakeside, taking just about the most direct route.

No comments:

Post a Comment