Sunday, December 1, 2019

Surprise View, Upper Padley, Nether Padley, Curbar, Froggatt, Grindleford, and Hathersage

I travelled to the Surprise View Car Park near Hathersage today and lingered for a while at first taking some photographs of the wonderful view just a few yards away.







I then set off along the footpath that eventually zigzags down the hillside to Padley Gorge. I soon reached Grindleford Station at Upper Padley.

[I wonder what the story was that happened here.]



They were serving up cooked breakfasts at the cafe in the old station waiting room; I passed straight by...but I would indulge myself today in Hathersage at the end of the walk.



I then made my way up onto White Edge, passing through part of Nether Padley...where these two cars seem to just have been abandoned.



It was busy on White Edge; there were several people at the trig point when I took the photographs.









I reached Curbar Gap; I noticed that the car park was full and so vehicles were parked on the side of the road creating a congestion problem. I then walked down the road to Curbar.

Just in case you might be wondering...these young men have bouldering mattresses on their backs.





At the bottom of the hill in Curbar I headed back to the north, walking along the river bank, down stretches of farm tracks, through woodland and across riverside pastures on my way to Hathersage, passing through Froggatt and Grindleford.



I arrived in Hathersage with plenty of time to pop in to Cintra's Tearooms for a pot of tea and a slice of chocolate cake.

It's been a relatively easy nine mile walk today, fortunately not too muddy because of the frost. I wouldn't have wanted to attempt anything more difficult though because I've got a stiff and sore shoulder, possibly caused by a trapped nerve. I would have been in pain if I needed to do any scrabbling over rocks...and I don't know I might have reacted if I stumbled and was about to fall.








No comments:

Post a Comment