Saturday, December 14, 2019

Brough, Bradwell, Great Hucklow, Grindlow, Foolow, Housley, Great Longstone, and Bakewell

I saw my first snow of the winter today as the bus travelled over the higher parts of the moors, just a sprinkling on the ground in one specific area only at first but then I spotted some accumulation on north facing slopes in the distance as the bus descended to Hathersage. Later on I was caught in a snow shower which which soon started settling...not much, and not for long though.

I got off the bus at Brough and walked along the footpath to Bradwell. There were views of Mam Tor and the cement works over to my left, and Win Hill was behind me.





Two young women were also taking photographs of Bradwell church from the roadside and so I held back so as to not get in their way.



I continued walking south towards Hazlebadge Hall: the surplus booster rocket engine cowlings that the owners bought from NASA a few years ago have now gone quite rusty.



I noticed this sign as I was walking along a short stretch of road on my way to Great Hucklow.



I'm glad to see that the pub at Little Hucklow is re-opening - although using a different name I think. I've passed by the building several times and seen it in its dilapidated state and always thought it would be a shame if it had to be demolished.

I didn't photograph anything at Great Hucklow or Grindlow, the next village. It's a lovely walk across the fields to Foolow though.





I walked down the road to Housley; there's nothing there but a cluster of farm buildings. Normally the next stretch of the walk would be the part that I'd be most looking forward to...especially because of the clear sunny weather. However, just before I reached Longstone Moor I stumbled and then noticed that the sole of my right boot had partially detached. Fortunately I was well prepaid and had everything thing I needed to make emergency repairs; string, parcel tape, and a spare thick woolly hiking sock.

This has been the third, or possibly even the fourth time this has happened to me. Siobhan, my support worker, keeps telling me I'm very flat-footed and I'm thinking if so it might well be the cause...and the reason why I regularly get abuse hurled at me from people in passing cars.

The shortest, quickest, easiest, and safest way to the nearest bus stop was the route I'd already planned...so I just pressed on for Longstone Moor and the rest of the way to Bakewell.

All of these next photographs were taken when I'd stopped to turn round and look behind me.







I noticed that 'Houseley' on this sign on Longstone Moor is spelled differently to the version used on Ordnance Survey maps.



I only spent a few minutes in Great Longstone, walking down the high street until I reached this footpath.





The light was perfect for photography as I crossed the pastures, or meadows, going towards the Monsal Trail.




I'd got the times of the buses going back to Sheffield from Pineapple House Farm at the end of the walk written on a piece of paper inside my wallet. I checked these times and knew that I'd be comfortably able to get there in time.

The final photograph is the view I had whilst I was waiting for the bus.








1 comment:

  1. Although I never comment,maybe I should to say just what beautiful walks you do and how much I enjoy your photos!,xx

    ReplyDelete