Friday, June 3, 2022

Curbar Crossroads, Baslow, and More Sculptures at Chatsworth

It's been a Sunday service on the buses today and so I could only easily get to Castleton or Bakewell. I chose to catch the Bakewell bus, the first one available, and travel to Curbar Crossroads and walked along the path to the Wellington Monument. I then headed towards the village of Curbar using several  paths, all well-defined. 





























Just before reaching Curbar though I found a path that I thought would mean that I didn't have to walk along as much of the road to get down into the village, but it looped back and joined up with the low level path heading back to Baslow; I stayed with it though. I'd not used the path before and so didn't mind the change of plan.


 










I arrived at Baslow Nether End and walked through Chatsworth Park. The footpath was open again and so I was able to take some photographs of three of the recently installed sculptures I'd not previously seen.

From a distance I thought the first sculpture was a helter-skelter, then a giant banana, until I realised it featured the fuselage of an aircraft.



















The second one seemed to be giant fairies until I got closer and could see they were giant fleas, although it's difficult to make out in the photographs. I didn't really like this sculpture.











The last piece was my favourite of all the sculptures that have been installed so far, I was convinced it was a flock of sheep but couldn't understand why people were climbing on it. It was actually constructed as a rising spiral of stepping stones, although I'm not sure it would have been the sculptor's original intention for people to play king of the castle on it. I didn't join the queue to join in.














When I reached Chatsworth House it was only ten minutes until a bus was due going back to Sheffield. There was nowhere else I wanted to walk to and so I waited for it, it was ten minutes late.

No comments:

Post a Comment