Saturday, June 12, 2021

Worsbrough, Birdwell, Hoyland Common, Elsecar, Cortonwood, Broomhill, and Darfield

Today's walk started at Worsbrough Mill Country Park, just three miles south of Barnsley. I got off the bus and walked towards the museum and reservoir, took a few photos and then headed up to the old part of Worsbrough village before heading south, taking a path that keeps to the east of Birdwell; I did briefly enter Birdwell though.








I could have then taken what on the map looks the slightly shorter route but requiring my navigating my way round two large busy roundabouts, or turning to the left and just having to cross the dual carriageway. I chose the latter; my choice was made easy though because I think the other footpath was closed. I didn't even have to cross the dual carriageway, there was a tunnel.

I arrived at Hoyland Common and continued to the next footpath skirting to the south of Hoyland and heading east towards Elsecar Heritage Centre. I briefly got lost in a new housing estate though.

I found a lovely spot to eat my sandwiches, sitting in a meadow of buttercups.






I'm not sure exactly where this sign was.




I did about two thirds of a circuit of Elsecar Reservoir; there's a nature reserve there that's quite pleasant.






I didn't stay long exploring the Heritage Centre, I just used it as the quickest route to get to the Elsecar Canal.








I walked the entire length of the canal to reach the TransPennine Trail, it's only about two miles. I headed east along the trail and then made my way north towards Broomhill, getting lost again near the trading estate at Cortonwood.













I finished the walk at Darfield, taking a scenic footpath that goes alongside the River Dearne for part of the way.




No comments:

Post a Comment