Sunday, July 26, 2020

Newton, Sprotbrough, and Cusworth Hall Country Park

For a change I walked out to Sprotbrough on the left bank of the river, passing through the hamlet of Newton.



I'd been walking along the Don Valley Way for less than a mile when I reached a spot where until a few years ago there used to be a bridge, and a footpath which would pass right by the River Cheswold, at only two hundred yards in length it's supposedly the shortest river in England - it connects the two divergent channels of the River Don.


I only saw two cats at Newton, I usually see several more.







The ragwort was spectacular today...and there was a lot of it.







When I reached the Boat Inn at Sprotbrough , instead of continuing on the TransPennine Trail upstream towards Conisbrough I walked up Nursery Lane to find the path that goes up onto the meadows. I spent a few minutes photographing the wildflowers and then returned to Nursery Lane. All of my photographs of wildflowers were out of focus; I think this camera needs something framed in the distance so that it can focus on close-up subjects.



Two boats were passing through the lock.




I then took a path up through the woods that I'd not used before to reach the higher part of Sprotbrough and headed north out of the village along Spring Lane and then east along Long Lane and Back Lane, talking a longer route to Cusworth Hall and then the shortest route back home using Anchorage Lane and North Bridge.





My approach to Cusworth Hall Country Park was through the gatehouse.










1 comment: