Monday, July 1, 2019

Lodge Moor, Storrs, Dungworth, and Wharncliffe Side

This morning I had to start my walk from a different location to the one planned. I arrived at Sheffield later than expected because of problems with the trains at Doncaster and so subsequently missed my bus by a few minutes. So I walked up the hill to Arundel Gate and caught the bus going to Lodge Moor. Both the train and the bus that I travelled on were very crowded and I was squashed into a very tight space and so when I arrived at the bus terminus at Lodge Moor my knees, lower back and neck were sore and stiff - this took me a few minutes to walk off and get loosened up.

The most difficult terrain of today's walk was right at the start, just a few hundred yards from the blocks of high rise flats at Lodge Moor; a steep, overgrown and quite slippery descent through the woods and some stepping to cross at the bottom of the valley - fortunately someone had left a stick down by the river which I used to help with my balance.


I crossed the busy Manchester road and headed north to Dungworth  using footpaths and country roads.



I continued down to Damflask Reservoir, walking along the road that goes across the top of the dam wall.







About half way climbing up the other side of the valley I stopped to sit on a bench and check my map; a couple of teenagers rode by on their bikes and asked if I was reading the Bible, and then asked me if I was carrying a bicycle pump. Another example of the abuse I regularly receive from people; I didn't have to decide how to handle it though since they were soon gone, freewheeling down the steep hill.

I passed four [I think] of these old milestones which are located at many road junctions in Bradfield Parish - there must be dozens of them.









I cut down through the woods and briefly walked along the footpath on the southern shore of Broomhead Reservoir and then took the concessionary path which is a private access road going along the northern shore of More Hall Reservoir, it's used to reach the dam wall and some private properties. The walk finished on the main road just north of Wharncliffe Side where this road comes out, almost hidden from view as you're driving by.






No comments:

Post a Comment