Friday, July 12, 2019

Gringley on the Hill, Clayworth, Hayton, Clarborough, and Retford

A walk along a couple of short stretches of the towpath of the Chesterfield Canal in North Nottinghamshire today; it's my favourite canal I think.

I travelled to Gringley on the Hill, a pretty place to start a walk but I didn't spend any time exploring the village - I immediately headed southwards across the fields to Clayworth.







I went inside the church at Clayworth and took some photographs of the Traquair Murals.
































I climbed down to the canal towpath at the southern end of the village and continued following the canal until I reached Hayton. The next two photographs were taken just as I approached Hayton; I walked along the entirety of the high street which continues into Clarborough and found nothing else interesting to take any photographs of. Both villages have a pretty church in a nice location but it would have meant going out of my way to see them and I didn't have the time...I wanted to catch the 2:45 bus back to Doncaster from Retford.





I returned to the towpath and made good time into Retford and easily caught my bus; the next bus goes the long way round and goes even further by picking up and dropping off children from a couple of schools in the town, and the next direct bus to Doncaster doesn't depart until 5:45...not ideal really, but that's the bus service I have to make use of. 

No comments:

Post a Comment