Monday, July 26, 2021

Oxspring, Wortley, Wortley Hall, Pilley, and Birdwell

I travelled to Oxspring again this morning, it's quite easy to get there. I immediately got down onto the TransPennine Trail and headed southeast for two and a half miles before passing through Thurgoland Tunnel. 














I took a path that left the Trail and led down to Wortley Top Forge and then walked along the road for a few hundred yards before joining a quite overgrown path going up a steep hillside, eventually taking me to Wortley.







 





This is where the footpath comes out at Wortley; looking at the map I was totally confused...no wonder though.





It's difficult to get any good angles of the church.







There are two buildings across from the church that aren't as old as they might look; they're lovely though.







I'd done some research online and found out that that gardens at Wortley Hall are open to the public and so I went to take some photos.















I took the bridleway that goes through Wortley Park, heading east towards the road that I needed to walk along for a few minutes before there was a path going across the fields to Pilley. The final part of the walk, to the bus stop at Birdwell, was all downhill along a country lane, not always the easiest way to finish a walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment