Wednesday, May 5, 2021

Oxspring, Snowden Hill, Midhopestones, Upper Midhope, and Penistone

Today has been the first time for over a year that I've made my way to the Peak District using public transport. I caught the Penistone bus from Barnsley and got off at Oxspring. I chose the quickest and most direct route using country roads to reach the hamlet of Snowden Hill and then I'd planned to use footpaths to descend into the valley.












It looked like the farmer had deliberately attempted to block the footpath here though, and further on the route had been successfully blocked using a barbed wire fence. 




I tried to find an alternative route, not caring if the farmer saw what I was doing, but I couldn't find one and so had to return to the road - of course it meant that I spent more time on the farmer's land than I otherwise would had had he facilitated access.

I walked along the top of the dam wall at the eastern end of Underbank Reservoir and took a path going through the woods to the south of the reservoir to reach Midhopestones and continued heading west until I arrived at  the national park boundary just before Upper Midhope.










There's a nice old chapel at Midhopestones.








This was very helpful by Sheffield City Council.




I'd never come across this term before, at the start of another footpath a few hundred yards further on.




I soon reached the open moors to the south of Langsett Reservoir - it was really good to be here, high up on the Peak District moors again.

Someone's been busy carefully stacking these stones.







Time was passing and I needed to get back to Penistone by the quickest route, mainly along the road. I had twenty minutes to wait for the bus and then another fifteen at Barnsley for the bus back to Doncaster.





 

I soon left the moors though and turned to the north to return back down into the valley



before climbing up and over to join the TransPennine Trail about two miles west of Penistone, where I finished the walk.





No comments:

Post a Comment