Wednesday, May 12, 2021

Gringley-on-the-Hill, Drakeholes, Everton, Harwell, and Bawtry

I caught the Gainsborough bus and travelled to Gringley-on-the Hill and then walked back to Bawtry to catch the bus back to Doncaster.

Gringley's a pretty village and I spent a bit of time there. 





























I climbed up Beacon Hill, which is at the eastern edge of the village, to enjoy the view from up there.










I found a footpath which goes across a field to the lower part of the village and then walked down the country road to the Chesterfield Canal. I walked along the towpath for a couple of miles until I reached Drakeholes, and then had to walk along the road to Everton because the footpath across the fields, although not technically blocked, the farmer had made access difficult by placing a sign stating that it's private land, deliberately hanging two large tarpaulin sheets from trees and making no effort to level off the path which goes across a recently ploughed field. It was just easier to take the slightly longer route. 















I didn't spend as long in Everton as I had in Gringley.








I continued to Harwell and then walked through Barrow Hills, an area of woodland.

The final mile and a half along the road is what always spoils a walk finishing at Bawtry, there's only a bus every two hours and so there's usually not one due. A bus was due when I got to Bawtry though - I only just got to the bus stop in time..














1 comment:

  1. I've been walking in the Gringley area, very nice it is too. Nice photo's.

    ReplyDelete