Tuesday, May 18, 2021

Oxspring, Thurgoland, Hood Green, and Dodworth

Another walk starting at Oxspring. Today I headed to the southeast, following the River Don downstream for about a mile. The walk started with a shed mocked up to look like a giant cockerel - the photograph isn't very good though



 







I passed under this viaduct; I would be joining the TransPennine Trial later, but not at the location I had planned.




There was a short climb up a road and across some open countryside until I reached Huthwaite Hall, nothing more than a large farmhouse.




I hadn't studied the map in enough detail and at the location where I was expecting the path to cross the TransPennine Trail the trail wasn't there, it was actually beneath my feet in a tunnel - the trail runs along the route of an old railway line.

I had to take a path that went to Thurgoland, a rather unattractive village. The church there is Victorian and nothing special.




I walked through the village and down the lane to access the TransPennine Trail - I stayed on it for about a mile before heading off to the northeast towards Hood Green.


























 

I continued heading northeast to reach Dodworth with its frequent bus services back into Barnsley.







1 comment:

  1. It's charming. Looks a really nice walk and the whole area around Thurgoland isn't very well documented on t'interwebs so thanks for sharing. It gave me some nice ideas for my future travels.

    ReplyDelete