Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Bentley Community Woodland, Shaftholme, Almholme, and Arksey

After being attacked by a large dog a couple of weeks ago when I was attempting to reach Bentley Community Woodland, I succeeded in getting there today...but staying well away from my previous route. I walked all the way along the road to the shops at Bentley and then turned down some side streets to reach a footpath that goes at the back of the park and loops round to the north, entering the community woodlands just to the south of Toll Bar, part of the way goes along the route of an old railway line.

I briefly entered the park though to take a photograph of Bentley Pavilion.





I explored the community woodland, I didn't reach the summit because it's not obvious where it is; I always stayed as high up as possible though - it's about 100 ft high I suppose, lower than the other local former colliery spoilheaps that have been landscaped.  I sat down in a clearing on a slope to eat my sandwiches and when I'd finished and stood up I disturbed a deer that had sneaked up quite close to me. I saw another deer later and this time I was able to photograph it. 




I found many areas I'd not explored before, some lovely heath-like areas...I even spotted a solitary purple orchid.






I reached Shaftholme, which is just a couple of farms and a few ranch-like residences. I crossed over the level crossing and immediately turned left down The Balk, a track which goes alongside the railway and then loops round to Almholme; part of the way seems to be along the route of an old railway which must have branched off from the East Coast Main Line here  - although it was quite overgrown it looked like there was a layer of gravel or asphalt on the ground.





There are some rather attractive ruins at Almholme which I always photograph.















Not every building in Almholme is a ruin though.



I made my way over to Arksey, going down Common Lane and Arksey Common Lane. It was a tight fit when this contraption needed to get past me.



There are several attractive buildings to photograph at Arksey.












I continued along the road back to the shops at Bentley and the final two miles into the town centre and back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment