Friday, January 10, 2020

Sutton Crossroads, Ranby, Scofton, and South Carlton

After failing to complete my first planned themed walk last week in north Nottinghamshire I returned to the county again today, and this time I've been successful.

The theme of today's walk has been to visit, or get as close as I could, to some places that have the same placename as somewhere else.

Sutton is a very common placename, certainly there's one in Doncaster. I travelled on the Retford bus to Sutton Crossroads; it was then only a short walk down the road to Botany Bay Farm....so that's two placenames bagged already - there would only be another two to follow though.

After heading to the west along the towpath of the Chesterfield Canal I reached my third themed location, Barnby Fox Covert - I'd already passed through Barnby Moor on the bus and there's a place called Barnby Dun near Doncaster.







I stayed with the towpath until just beyond Ranby when I took the estate road leading to Scofton. 



I visited the church there and it was then an easy ramble to the end of the walk at South Carlton, mainly using tarmacked estate roads and wide well-maintained bridleways.







I know of two other places called Carlton which are quite near to where I live; there's one near Selby and one near Barnsley, where Mr. Kipling's Cakes are baked...there's also a 'Carleton' near Pontefract.

Towards the end of the walk I passed a fully plumbed in jacuzzi right next to the footpath. My muscles weren't aching and so I kept on walking until I reached the bus stop.



No comments:

Post a Comment