Sunday, January 19, 2020

Conisbrough, Old Edlington, Wadworth, New Rossington, Old Rossington, and Bessacarr

I woke up too late this morning to go walking in the Peak District. I had a disturbed night's sleep because of a head cold that I've picked up, the third this winter...plus a bout of the flu.

It's been another lovely day and I didn't want to waste it, so I went on a local walk, from Conisbrough over to the Great North Road.

I got off at the last of the bus stops at Conisbrough on Doncaster Road before the bus turns off to serve the shops, and walked up Clifton Lane; it's quite steep and I could feel that my thigh muscles were weak. It meant walking along a road for over a mile before reaching a short footpath going over to Old Edlington - there's a lovely decommissioned church there.













I went down the lane and through Edlington Wood, passing under the motorway to reach Wadworth; there's a nice church there as well. 







I continued heading east down a country lane and then a footpath to reach New Rossington, a former pit village consisting mainly of housing estates. I crossed over the River Torne, the only Yorkshire river that empties into the Trent.

My third church of the day, at Old Rossington, is equally as attractive as the other two I photographed.





I finished the walk by taking a footpath heading to the north out of Old Rossington, passing over the Torne again, this time two parallel channels. I continued, walking through the golf course and then woodland until I reached Bawtry Road at Bessacarr. 







1 comment: