Saturday, January 18, 2020

Laughton-en-le-Morthen, Brampton en le Morthen, Morthen, Whiston, Boston Park, and Rotherham

I travelled to Laughton en le Morthen near Rotherham and set off across the fields to Brampton en le Morthen, using the foot crossing to get over the rarely used single track freight railway and a bridge a few yards later over a disused railway cutting, passing to the south of the large village of Thurcroft.

I started by photographing the church in the lovely sunshine.







I've only included one photograph of Brampton en le Morthen.



I visited the farm shop at Morthen, passing under two motorways to get there. It's only a small shop but it was quite busy, and it did have a decent selection of game.







The emus that live across the road weren't at home.



Most of the route to Whiston was along a secondary road and it was dangerous in places because of fast cars going round blind corners. Two churches are shown on  the Ordnance Survey map at Whiston and so I made my way to the first of them. It turned out to be a very attractive Methodist church.



The Anglican church is a few hundred yards away, up the hill.





















The old part of Whiston, near the church, is really quite attractive. It's hilly and so has a lot of steps and steep and narrow walkways and alleyways; there are quite a few large stone Georgian and Victorian buildings in leafy settings, and a burbling brook at the bottom of the valley with a pleasant footpath to walk alongside it. 

I think I might then have picked up the Rotherham Round Walk as I walked through some woodland heading to the north, and stayed with it all the way to Rotherhan town centre, passing through Boston Park and taking some photographs of Boston Castle.

I was disappointed with Boston Castle; it's free admission, but it closes for the winter.



I took a couple of photographs of the minster as I rushed by to get to the railway station - this one's nothing special though.



I needn't have rushed though because I had twenty minutes to wait for a train; it did mean that I could photograph one of the electric tram-trains that have been recently introduced...with mixed results.


No comments:

Post a Comment