Sunday, January 26, 2020

Stoney Middleton, Foolow, Grindlow, Great Hucklow, Little Hucklow, Coplow Dale, Bradwell, Pindale, and Hope

Another themed walk today, visiting several of the 'lows' of Derbyshire; a local placename element that means burial mound' or 'tumulus.'

I travelled to The Moon Inn at Stoney Middleton and then walked for a few yards up the steep high street before taking the footpath going down into Coombes Dale, the closest limestone dale to Sheffield. I climbed up and out of the dale and continued along the old quarry road, passing close to a property known as Bleaklow and then walked northwards across the fields, and continued along the road to Foolow.







Next up I reached Grindlow, then Great Hucklow, Little Hucklow, and Coplow Dale. Just to the east of Coplow Dale there's Cop Low tumulus shown on the map and not far away Stan Low tumulus and Stanlow Dale, a shallow, short valley with no public access. By this time I'd got no more villages with their name ending in 'low' to pass through and so I made my way to Bradwell and then climbed up past the cement works and over to Hope; just before reaching the cement works though there's a hill called 'Mich Low.'



















I had to jog the final mile to Hope; fortunately it's a tarmac surface and a gentle slope all the way. I arrived with a few minutes to spare and was really pleased with my efforts.

Unlike Friday, when the weather was much better than forecast, today turned out to be the opposite - it was forecast to stay dry until one o'clock...but it rained all day.

I think there'll be several more themed walks visiting places ending in 'low' because there are a lot of them in Derbyshire.

No comments:

Post a Comment