Friday, September 13, 2019

Taddington, Litton Mill, Cressbrook, Wardlow, Rowland, Hassop, and Baslow

Recently some new trains have been added to the Northern Rail fleet and I travelled on one of them this morning going to Sheffield. As we approached the station at Sheffield the guard was shouting for people to move out of the way because she couldn't open the doors from the compartment at the back so she had to walk up through the carriage to the nearest set of doors...where I was standing, ready to get off. It was still a few seconds until the train would be stationary at the platform and so I mentioned to her that the new trains are nice, quiet, comfortable, and with more legroom than the older trains.

She replied by saying, "Oh yes, they're very nice for the passengers."
"So they're not nice for the staff then?" I said.
Her response was that she was covered in bruises. She didn't add anything else though because she was then busy opening the doors.

A few minutes later at the bus station I took part in a rather longer conversation with a middle aged Chinese couple whose English wasn't very good. I really struggled to get them to understand that when they'd be catching the bus from Chatsworth House back to Sheffield they could get on whichever number 218 bus arrived, irrespective if it showed 'Sheffield' or 'Bakewell' on the destination blind; their tickets would be valid - it's just that the bus going via Bakewell takes fifteen minutes longer for the journey.

I got on the Bakewell bus and then caught the TransPeak service to Taddington.

This was the only photograph I took in the village today.


I headed off in a northeasterly direction towards Litton Mill - there were two steep descents and two steep climbs back up. I'd only been walking for a few minutes when I had an equipment failure - the sole on my left boot came loose. I was able to do a fairly good makeshift repair with a sock and a piece of string which I always have in my rucksack for these such contingencies. Fortunately today's walk wasn't difficult and so there were no safety concerns. The boots only cost me a few pounds from a charity shop and so there's no great financial loss.








As I was checking the route down to Litton Mill I noticed that in the margin of my map it reads 'Toddington 2 km or 1 mile ' rather than 'Taddington' as it should be. Maybe if I point out this error to the Ordnance Survey I'll get a new free map when it's re-printed.

When I crossed the footbridge to reach Litton Mill I saw several large trout in the river.





I walked along the riverside concessionary footpath to Cressbrook and then took the higher level route up the valley and across to Wardlow.



From Wardlow I went the most direct route to Baslow; my bus didn't show up and I had to wait for twenty five minutes for the next one.

On the way I passed this pretty cottage at Rowland.









No comments:

Post a Comment