Saturday, September 21, 2019

Fitzwilliam, Nostell Priory, and Hessle

I used my new travel pass for the first time today. It's been renewed for another five years - so that's plenty more walks and days out to look forward to.

It was free admission at Nostell Priory today so I met my brother at Fitzwilliam Railway Station and we walked down the road to the property; it's about a mile and a half. Nostell Priory isn't a priory, it's a Georgian period stately home that was built on the site of a mediaeval priory.

Before walking up to the house we visited Wragby Parish Church which is located at the entrance to  the estate parkland.







The house didn't open until eleven o'clock and so we had a walk round the walled garden and continued on to the lakeside walks. We were both impressed with the walled garden and the formal borders and were particularly interested in the large banana trees that were growing there...they had even produced fruit; I doubt there'll be enough time for it to ripen though.



















Unlike yesterday when I visited Beningbrough Hall, I took some photographs inside the house today.







We left the house and walked through the parkland heading east until we reached the lane that leads to Hessle. At Hessle I made a navigational error, but was glad that I did. It meant that we looped back to Fitzwilliam instead of continuing on to Badsworth and finally South Elmsall. My feet were starting to hurt me and the shorter route was appreciated. I wasn't wearing proper walking boots, rather some footwear more appropriate for walking around a stately home and they were a bit too tight and were starting to nip and rub me.

I caught the same train as my brother and travelled to Goldthorpe and then got the bus to Doncaster. I arrived in town about ten minutes earlier than waiting for the Doncaster train at Fitzwilliam.




No comments:

Post a Comment