Monday, September 30, 2019

Penistone, Langsett, Brightholmlee, and Wharncliffe Side

A walk starting at Penistone today; after taking several photographs of the church I headed straight for the Transpennine Trail and out into the countryside.







I located my footpath going across the fields towards Hartcliff Tower; I never got to see the tower though, it must have been out of sight behind the summit of the hill.

I crossed the road and then continued south and west, and downhill, to Langsett. On the bridleway approaching Langsett I accidentally broke a gate - I did my best to fix it but it was rather heavy...fortunately no livestock would be able to get loose.

The photograph shows it after my first attempt to get it upright; the hinges had broken off and so I couldn't improve much on this.


It's easy to spot the Bank View Cafe at Langsett but I nearly missed the entrance door because it's hidden away at the back of the building. I went inside and had a pot of tea and a slice of flapjack and enjoyed looking at the Tour de France memorabilia on the walls and shelves as I waited for my order. 





I walked along the dam wall of the reservoir and then made my way down past Midhope Reservoir, Broomhead Reservoir, and More Hall Reservoir...and then climbed up the hill to Brightholmlee.







In the woodland along the southern shore of Broomhead Reservoir I photographed a couple of brightly coloured toadstools and an unexpected white chequered board.







As I was approaching Brightholmlee along a narrow single track road a lorry was heading towards me: I made sure the driver saw me, and he did. He pulled right over to one side of the road and stopped so that I could safely get by; he still had to pull his large wing mirror out of my way though.

I only had a few minutes to wait for a bus at Wharncliffe Side and the tram was waiting for us at the terminus at Middlewood. I travelled all the way to Meadowhall on the tram...and then had over half an hour to wait for a train home.   



No comments:

Post a Comment