Saturday, September 7, 2019

Edensor, Alport, Youlgreave, Over Haddon, Ashford in the Water, and Bakewell

I travelled to Edensor today and walked through Chatsworth Park and over Calton Pastures towards Haddon Hall.

There are a lot of pretty and unusual cottages to photograph at Edensor, and the church seems to be always open.





























I was fortunate to get a quite close-up view of the Chatsworth deer - my camera couldn't cope very well though and this was the best image of the lot.



The footpath that passes close to Haddon Hall doesn't give you a good view of the building; a much better view is obtained by climbing up the hill at the other side of the road, as I did as I walked along the footpath going to Alport.

I did manage to take a photograph of the gatehouse though as I passed by on the road.



For the first time that I can remember I walked along part of Bradford Dale from east to west and then climbed up the hill to Youlgreave. I always take a picture of this pretty bridge.




I followed the sign from the main road in the village to the Peak Feast Cafe for a pot of tea and some shortbread. There's also a charming tea garden at Over Haddon with lovely views from the terrace which I haven't managed to visit yet; I passed it today, and it is on my list.



There are no direct footpaths, or even a road from Over Haddon to Ashford in the Water so I had to go northwest across the fields and then northeast down the Kirk Dale road.







Quite often I'll finish a walk at Ashford and then catch the bus into Bakewell - I would have had over an hour to wait today and so continued the rest of the way to Bakewell, from where I caught a bus and a train back home to Doncaster.

No comments:

Post a Comment