Monday, April 1, 2019

Ladybower Inn, Fairholmes, Bamford, and Hathersage

I caught the bus from Sheffield to the Ladybower Inn and immediately crossed over the road to reach the footpath that goes behind the pub, heading up onto the moors. After a short distance I took a lower level path that I'd probably not used before and so didn't get up too high, just high enough to enjoy the views of the reservoir.





It wasn't long though until I started the real climb up through the woods at the back of the houses at Ashopton going towards  Whinstone Lee Tor  and then briefly walking along Derwent Edge.




I came back down to the track which runs alongside the eastern shore of Ladybower Reservoir and continued heading north for the Derwent Dam and Fairholmes Visitor Centre.

Although there aren't any in the photograph below, there were a lot of daffodils in bloom down in he bottom of the valley; entire fields of them in places.

My direction was still heading north as I walked along the other bank, the western bank, of Derwent Reservoir, the next reservoir up the valley. I  made my way up through the pine forest, now walking southwards towards Lockerbrook Outdoor Centre. A couple of hundred yards beyond there I turned left, and then left again, going down Hagg Side to reach the western bank of Ladybower Reservoir this time, with good views [when there were no trees in the way] of where I'd been walking a few hours earlier.







I crossed over Ashopton Viaduct and used the road to get to the Thornhill Trail, which I followed all the way to the bus stop at Bamford Station. There was forty five minutes until the next bus was due and so I walked the extra mile and a half to Hathersage.








Today's route, twelve miles:


No comments:

Post a Comment