Sunday, April 28, 2019

Ladybower Inn, Hope, Castleton, Pindale, Bradwell, and Brough

I caught the bus from Sheffield to the Ladybower Inn, walked down the road to the car park at Heatherdene and then took the footpath which coincides with the start of the Derwent Valley Heritage Way.





Even though there were several empty seats on the bus a rather strange man dressed in pantaloons and canvas pumps, and definitely no socks, insisted on standing and holding on to one of the supporting stanchions to do some stretching and balancing exercises like a washed up ballet dancer who's well and truly seen better days. He got off at the same stop as me and after bending down several times started to jog off into the distance...carrying his M&S plastic shopping bag with him which he seemed to keep nearly tripping up over.

I walked down through the woods to reach the river at the bottom of the valley and then partially climbed up the eastern flank of Win Hill.

There were some nice views as I then crossed the fields, heading towards Hope.





I noticed this sign just before I entered Hope, the first of several interesting or unusual signs I photographed today.



I only skimmed the northern outskirts of Hope before coming down to the main road about a mile east of Castleton.













I didn't spend very long in Castleton; although it's a pretty honeypot village for tourists I've been many times and have seen everything. I left the village, going to the southeast, towards Pindale and Bradwell, passing right next to the Hope Cement Works.









Like with Hope, I only visited the northern end of Bradwell before turning left and walking along the road to Brough to catch the bus. Travelling back to Sheffield the bus was delayed for a few seconds by a family riding their bikes, and taking their large dog for a walk at the same time. It was quite a sight seeing the dog leading the way and setting the pace.

Today's walk finished at 1:30 and was only about eight miles; I hadn't planned for it to be any longer...I've had a bit of a cold for a couple of days and wasn't feeling a hundred percent well. My early arrival back home in Doncaster meant I could pick up a few items from the shops before they closed.

1 comment:

  1. I love the stories of your walks, they take me back to places I once knew well.

    Thank you for sharing, keep them coming, and I hope you have recovered from your cold 😁

    ReplyDelete