Sunday, April 14, 2019

Fitzwilliam, South Hiendley, Brierley, Clayton, Thurnscoe, and Goldthorpe

Fitzwilliam isn't a very nice place to start a walk, but it's easy to reach on the train on a Sunday morning. I left the station, passed through a housing estate and then walked across the fields to South Hiendley, another village that isn't very attractive. 

I like to see nice clear signage that's not rude or threatening.



I walked through South Hiendley and continued along the road towards Hemsworth to have a look at the almshouses, the highlight of the walk...there's a lot more than you can see just by passing on the road.







More walking along the road was required until I reached a footpath leading to Brierley.



At the southern end of the village I joined the Barnsley Boundary Walk which I followed to Thurnscoe.

From a distance I thought that this broken off concrete post was a stylised owl sculpture.



The approach to Grimethorpe Wood is quite picturesque; I saw my first bluebells of the season...but didn't see any later when I was inside the wood.





I didn't see any tanks in the next wood either.



There are a few pretty cottages in Clayton....the first photograph is obviously a barn though.









I noticed this plaque on a wall; after looking through the first three pages of search results returned by Google I'm still none the wiser as to what a 'hooping ring' is though.



More photographs of Clayton...









I walked along Chapel Lane at Thurnscoe so that I could reach Phoenix Park, and then Goldthorpe quicker, from where I caught the bus back to Doncaster...I only had six minutes to wait.





UPDATE: I've been told what a hooping ring is. It's what was used when the metal rims of wooden cartwheels needed to be repaired or replaced. Thanks to Scott on the Walkers' Forum Facerbook page.

Image may contain: one or more people


No comments:

Post a Comment