Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Peak District Pubs I've Visited

Following on from my post about Peak District cafes and tearooms a few months ago:


I've visited quite a few pubs in the Peak District and I'll probably struggle to remember them all; I've only ever ordered a pot of tea or a glass of Diet Coke/Pepsi though...oh, and when I've been visiting places with my friend Justin we'd usually have a meal.

I'll start with the towns:

BAKEWELL: I had a nice, but rather expensive carvery meal at one of the pubs. I'm not sure which one, but my best guess is The Peacock.

BUXTON: Milton's Head - a very strange pub with an even stranger clientele. Visiting with Justin we had a poor meal, matched by poor service. 
Railway Hotel - A Wetherspoon's pub, so you know what you're getting.

MATLOCK AND MATLOCK BATH: The Crown - another Wetherspoon's pub. It was very busy both times I visited with Justin...but it was during the Victorian Christmas Market though.
The Midland - at Matlock Bath. We had a nice, but rather expensive, fish and chips meal.


The villages - approximately from north to south.

YORKSHIRE BRIDGE: Yorkshire Bridge Inn - an interesting collection of old farming implements hanging from the ceiling...chamber pots too I think!

BAMFORD: The Angler's Rest - run as a community business this combined pub and cafe is quite cheap and has a large selection of cakes.

HOPE: The Old Hall - technically I've only visited the attached tearooms, but have gone inside the pub to use the toilets.

CASTLETON: Olde Nag's Head - an average, at best, game pie when I visited with Justin.
The Peak Inn - very handy location directly across from the bus station. Very happy to welcome muddy boots.

BROUGH: The Traveller's Rest - a large beer garden and outdoor seating area.

HATHERSAGE: The Scotsman's Pack - also has a nice outdoor seating area.

FOX HOUSE: Fox House Inn - a log fire [I think.]

PEAK FOREST: Devonshire Arms - a lovely pot of tea and a plate of biscuits served to me out in the beer garden at the back.

FROGGATT: The Grouse Inn - an isolated location up on the moors. My glass of Diet Coke/Pepsi was very expensive.

GREAT HUCKLOW: Queen Anne Inn - I had a glass of Diet Coke/Pepsi, that's all I remember.

BRETTON: The Barrel Inn - very handy for the toilets, they're just inside the door. I have been inside and ordered a drink a couple of times.

GREAT LONGSTONE: White Lion - I think my presence and custom was merely tolerated here.

ASHFORD-IN-THE-WATER - Bull's Head. Nothing remarkable.

BEELEY: Devonshire Arms - they operate a system of bartering at this pub; cash is also accepted though.

OVER HADDON: Lathkill Hotel - very snooty when I visited...I think they are even less welcoming to walkers now.

ROWSLEY: The Peacock - pleasant enough, nothing special though.

BIRCHOVER: The Druid Inn - nice location at the western end of the village.

TANSLEY - The Gate Inn - I remember being very thirsty when I visited this pub.


Thanks to Google Maps for helping me with my research - my memory isn't that good!









No comments:

Post a Comment