Wednesday, July 20, 2022

Youlgreave, Bradford, Elton, Stanton Lees, Stanton Woodhouse, and Rowsley

[This is the walk I planned to do last week. ...but the bus at Bakewell didn't show up.]

I caught the local bus from Bakewell to Youlgreave and walked down the hill to Bradford.












I then walked along the bottom of the valley right next to the River Bradford; I stayed on the right bank as I was going upstream but had to climb out of the dale to the western end of Youlgreave, taking a charming footpath which seemed to go right through some people's back gardens. A bit further on I was able to get back down into Bradford Dale again. Walking alongside the river I noticed that it seemed to get wider and deeper the further upstream I went; very unusual, maybe there's a sinkhole further downstream down which some of the flow disappears. I had to cross over to the other bank eventually though.
















The next path, going through the camping and caravanning site at Hopping Farm was new to me, although it soon joined up with a much more familiar path going over to Elton.








I passed through the village and then joined the Limestone way for a few hundred yards, which I soon left to take a route staying to the north of Winster. I then went down the closed road into Stanton Lees..  




I remained on a northerly bearing for Rowsley  from where I caught a bus back to Bakewell. I had to wait over an hour there for a bus going back to Sheffield.




No comments:

Post a Comment