Friday, July 8, 2022

Baslow, Robin Hood, Wigley, Ashgate, and Chesterfield.

I caught the bus to Baslow Nether End and walked into Chatsworth Park. I didn't walk towards Chatsworth House though, instead I headed off to the east, towards Robin Hood. I crossed the road and climbed up onto Birchen Edge and then continued northwards to Curbar Crossroads.
















I didn't select the easiest way up to the top of Birchen Edge, I had to take off my rucksack and keep throwing or pushing it up ahead of me as a struggled to find footholes.













The path meandered down to Curbar Crossroads and then I had to walk for over two miles to the hamlet of Wigley. I was thirsty and so went in to The Fox and Goose for a pint of Diet Coke; I was charged £4, that's more than double the price at my local Wetherspoon's.




I took the path that goes north at the end of Wigley hoping to reach Linacre reservoirs. There were two ways, unfortunately the one I chose had been diverted by the landowner and just looped back up to the road. I wasn't happy about this and had to re-trace my steps for several hundred yards...two bad experiences at Wigley today.




To the east of Linacre Reservoirs I took a bridleway I'd not used before, it went through some pleasant countryside and went to Ashgate Hospice. I continued walking along the road to Chesterfield and when I saw two women waiting for a bus I asked them if it was going into town. It went the most complicated route around the housing estates as any bus I've ever travelled on.

The bus going back to Sheffield was late, but so was the train going to Doncaster and so I was able to catch it.


No comments:

Post a Comment