Sunday, November 7, 2021

Moscar, Ughill, and Sandygate

The train was held up for twenty minutes at Swinton this morning and so I missed my intended bus at Sheffield. Instead I had to catch the X57 service, and got off at Moscar Lodge, right on the county boundary.




I headed north towards Sugworth Hall and then Booth's Tower.












The entirety of the walk so far had been along the route of the Sheffield Country Walk, and I stayed with it for another mile until I climbed up to Hoar Stones Road.
















I continued walking along the road to Ughill, just a collection of a few houses...and an interesting street name.



Further on, the footpath that goes through the farmyard at Beeton Farm is well signposted; it needed to be for me to progress though, there was an electrified trip wire and a chained up gate blocking the way. The signs were clear, the map was clear, and I was confident and ready for any confrontation.

I reached Rails and dropped down into the upper part of the Rivelin Valley before immediately climbing out taking a path going up through the woods at the other side. I only needed to walk along the road for a few dozen yards until I reached the footpath sign indicating Coppice Lane, an ancient track climbing further up the hillside towards the houses at Sandygate. 






The final stretch was a fairly steep uphill scramble which was quite rocky and also slippery...the most difficult terrain of the day. I got lost in the housing estate - it just meant that I didn't have very long to wait for the bus though.

No comments:

Post a Comment