Tuesday, April 20, 2021

Carlton-in-Lindrick, Gateford, Darfoulds, Belph, and Worksop

For the first time in over a year I've managed to return to Derbyshire using public transport. I didn't go to the Peak District though, but tothe hamlet of Belph, the furthest east place in the county, but quite near to Worksop.

I got off the bus several miles north of  Worksop at Carlton-in-Lindrick and walked through the village to the church.




I then took a couple of paths across the fields to Gateford, a residential area of Worksop.




This was my best shot of Gateford Hall, although it's only one of the outbuildings.




I left Gateford and entered a trading estate and then an area of a landscaped spoilheap.




I crossed over the Chesterfield Canal near to Shireoaks Marina.

I then took a path going over to the southwest, and then southeast to reach Darfoulds. About a mile further south I crossed into Derbyshire and it was another mile until I reached Belph where there were a few footpaths in the immediate area for me to explore. 






This footbridge was officially closed, but it wasn't a problem.




The footpaths to the south and west of Belph were delightful, even though relatively close to a grassed over former quarry.






I then headed northeast and stayed on the same footpath all the way to Worksop. Just over half a mile along the path was the furthest east point you can reach in Derbyshire using roads or public footpaths. This footbridge marks the boundary between Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire.




The final part of the walk was the most difficult to navigate, going through the housing estates to reach the bus station.


No comments:

Post a Comment