Tuesday, September 8, 2020

Scrooby, Blyth, and Langold

I travelled to Scrooby, the first village in Nottinghamshire. The village has connections with the Pilgrim Fathers and this year is the four hundredth anniversary of them setting sail for America. Of course because of coronavirus and the lockdown all the celebrations have been cancelled - some new signs have been erected at various locations though.






























Although it's hard to see, this sign reads, 'ATTENTION ÉCOLE' -'école' means 'school' in French; there isn't a school in Scrooby, but maybe the geese in the photograph above are attending school.















After taking quite a few photographs I walked along the Great North Road for half a mile until I reached the footpath that goes over to Blyth, a very pretty village. On my way to Blyth though I stopped to take a photograph of the countryside and dropped my camera, and it broke. Why can't they make them sturdier and simpler to use? I'm quite clumsy because of my dyspraxia, which is part of my Asperger's syndrome.


I would have taken plenty of photos at Blyth, but instead I just walked straight through the village and out to the west. I had intended to walk across to Hodsock Priory, and take some more pictures, but I decided to choose a footpath I'd not used before. It led to Langold, where I originally planned to end the walk.


I didn't have long to wait for a bus returning to Doncaster; I popped into the CEX shop in town and bought two digital cameras for £20 - they should last me for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment